Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Record Clubs

Can't remember what record sleeve this was in, but in it it was! A Reader's Digest Record Club brochure. Were you in any music clubs?

Yes, it really is that yellow.

Descriptions of all the nondescriptness.

I don't have personal memories of actual record clubs, as I was very young when they were already phasing them out in favor of cassettes, but my mother did get some of my early Weird Al and Bill Cosby cassettes through Columbia House in the mid-80s. I still have stamps from VHS clubs, though, and even used them on recordings I'd make off TV.

I would go on to use similar cards myself when joining CD clubs. I was with Columbia House more than once, BMG at least once, and some other club I can't remember. (CDHQ?) Kept my membership going until 2000 or so, I guess. As long as you stayed on top of things and made sure they weren't making mistakes, it was definitely worth it.

3 comments:

  1. I was in Columbia House for albums, then later I moved to BMG for CDs, then back to Columbia, and I think I switched each a couple of times. I loved it, and in all those years I only got one album I didn't want because I didn't send the card back. When you lived in a small town, that was a great way to get albums that weren't the mainstream stuff. My wife and I joined Columbia House VHS club shortly after we got married. We didn't stay in that very long, but we did get some great movies at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "that was a great way to get albums that weren't the mainstream stuff"

      Really? I know what you mean, small town-wise, but I tend to think of them as very mainstream in selection. But that was a long time ago and my tastes have changed ever so slightly since then. ;) ("What?! No Estradasphere in Columbia House?")

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you couldn't get The Psychedelic Furs in my town, but Colombia House had it. Even later, I got Stone Roses through one of them. There were a lot like that, those weren't the monthly picks, but they were in the catalog.

      Delete

What say you?