Wednesday, August 31, 2016

We don't need no stinkin' banjos!

But they're back anyway.

See? Like the ukulele*, this is an instrument that also enjoyed great highs in popular music and great drops in popularity as well. In 2016, I would say both are sadly in critical condition on the pop charts. Fortunately, I couldn't care less about the pop charts. I love the banjo, especially in bluegrass, where it absolutely thrives, I tell you!

I sometimes wonder why people put check marks beside certain tracks. Favorites? Songs they have on other albums? Hit list? We'll never know.

*Just thought I'd mention the excellent documentary Mighty Uke here. It's one of the few things on IMDb I've rated 10/10. I just found it to be a perfectly entertaining doc about the uke. I learned a ton and saw plenty of impressive performances. It's an instrument to be reckoned with!

4 comments:

  1. I guess some people can't listen to too much of this in one sitting, so the check marks are the ones they listened to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they were choosing music for a special event. Like a wedding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I would love to do that nowadays, when it's just a barrage of current pop tunes people hear forty times a day on the radio anyway. ;) A nice banjo tune would really liven things up.

      Delete
    2. You got that right!

      Delete

What say you?