Monday, April 9, 2018

Peter Dunn's Vinyl Museum

Following up from the last post, this is the unique sleeve that the Dorothy Lamour album came in...

At first, I thought 'oh cool, something more than the usual brown/white paper sleeve with a cartoon cat on it.' But then I noticed all the text everywhere...

I'll have to add a sticker like that on my record player too. Heh. :)

This post has a nice little history of Peter Dunn and his vinyl history, including links to a couple of videos involving the stores. Another good post here. Given how many are out there, and how many Toronto albums I see here, I'm surpised it took me this long to see one.

Funny/sad how nowadays, a record store like this could thrive in certain locations, especially given their apparent huge selection and low prices, but in the late 90s/early 00s, they were shutting down everywhere. It's possible I saw one of the Museum locations, especially the 355 Yonge St. one, as it was close to Sam's and HMV, but I have no memory of it.

7 comments:

  1. I just purchased a few LP's last weekend. And they have the Peter Dunn labels on they. They that was a cool piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Thanks for you comment. Are you in Ontario too?

      Delete
  2. The store was in the current Ryerson College location just a few stores north of Sam's. Easy to miss as it had a narrow store front but was deep. Bought lots of used LPs there in the days when Yonge St was the place to be with lots of record stores (Sam's, HMV, Sunrise, Vinyl Museum, Johnathan Lipsin's Incredible Record and Book Store as well as 3-4 second floor used stores. And that was just on Yonge St. Nowadays it's down to Sonic Boom and Rotate This downtown. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment. I wish I had seen the place. I rarely got to visit Toronto in the first place, and there was no time for exploring, especially as I was with others and didn't want to take much time away from their interests. It was like 'get off the subway, check Sam's and HMV (the well-known places), get back on subway.' :p

      Delete
  3. Hi
    I spent many, many hours in several Vinyl Museum locations: Yonge Street (that was a later incarnation), Bloor Street (two different locations) and Lakeshore Boulevard.
    I have quantities of used LP outer sleeves, LP inner sleeves and 7" outer sleeves if anyone is interested in buying them! waxhound at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took a screen shot of an old video that's pans past Peter Dunn's on Lakeshore Blvd west, near Mimico Ave. The building still stands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember Peter in Tallahassee, florida in the mid 1970’s he would shop used records at Coo-op Records.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?